Saturday, April 10, 2010

Birmingham Children's Crusade

After the BCRI, we went on a walk around the city following little historic signposts. These signposts featured information on the area they were placed in and how it connected to the civil rights era. We walked through Kelly Ingram Park, where the children's march had been met by a mob of firemen, donning firehouses propelling high pressurized water, and policemen, unleashing attack dogs. The children had been marching from the 16th Street Baptist Church to nearby department stores. The attack on the children had been ordered by the current police Commissioner, Eugene 'Bull' Connor. Conner drove around in a white tank, terrorizing black in Birmingham, Stopping their marches, and in general making life as a black person miserable. Looking back on this event in history in hindsight, I probably wouldn't have marched, but I betcha that if i were a kid in Birmingham at that time, I would've marched due to peer pressure. If i had been there then I would've, against my parents' will marched for my freedom as a human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment